The Veritas Tenon Cutter Review



 This is probably my favorite and most often used tool in my studio.  This is the Veritas Tenon Cutter.  I purchased the 1 1/4" cutter about 4 years ago and it has built my chairs and stools.  I use it for both rustic furniture with Aspen, and I also have a line of Alder pieces that I use square stock that this tenon cutter has no issues with handling.


  
Just place your material in a 4" bench vise.  I actually wrap the vise in an old T-shirt to protect the material.


Now, you are ready to create your tenon.  This cutter does require a corded drill....nothing fancy, but a battery powered drill won't cut very many tenons.  This tool is so user friendly.  It can be used by anyone...men, women, or children.  The aluminum body cutter never vibrates or jumps no matter what material I am using.  I love the level vial feature to ensure your in-line cutting is as accurate as possible.  If you start out and cut your tenon and manuveor the drill in the slightest, it will create ripples in your tenon.Nothing that will dramatically affect your build, but just keep that bubble level and you will be very happy. 

Here is the end result.  A perfect radius shoulder tenon every time.  The blade is even adjustable to cut the exact tenon size you need.  I suggest this as a must have for anyone interested in cutting tenons for furniture making! 





And as an added bonus, I have discovered that with using this tool so often.....it creates the perfect wood shavings that make excellent fire starter for your wood stove or campfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment