11/1/11

Things have been so busy lately!  I have been selling jobs and installing cabinets left and right.  I have also had to spend some time on my house getting it ready for the winter.  We bought our home two years ago in January and right after we moved in we had a wood burning stove installed upstairs and down.  There is no better heat in my opinion than a wood stove.  Sure, it takes a bit of work to keep it going and cleaning out the ashes, but I love sitting by the fire!  And it helps that I have all the access in the world  to hardwood fall off and kindling bins.  Every year I purchase cords of firewood from local sellers.  I used a guy that only cut elm and that is excellent to burn compared to pine or aspen.  Elm has a much higher BTU output and they don't burn out as quickly.  Well this year he retired from the sport, so I found a new guy that sells silver leaf maple.  It is only a couple of slots down from elm on the BTU chart-but still way better than aspen or pine, so I bought four cords to get through the winter.
Yikes-That is alot of firewood!

Well, luckily I have one of the very best helpers to stack this pile of wood-my younger sister Nancy.  She is 25 years old and has Down syndrome. She oddly looks forward to my firewood delivery every year.  She comes over and its great exercise and "bonding" time, and there is always pay involved.  It takes a couple of days to get a pile this size stacked nice and neat.....not because of how much there is, or how far we may or may not have to haul it.  Its because she loves to name, identify, and analyze every log before it is stacked!  Every couple of minutes its, "Aw, Kate-check this one out, it looks like a foot!"  And I cannot tell you how many "perfect Christmas morning logs" that I have set aside because they are perfectly round.  But seriously she is so much fun to hang out with and she has great work ethic-as long as there is a Subway kids meal at the end of it!  I will have to admit, I actually caught myself checking out quite a few of the logs too.  Hey there were some that had burl chunks on them.  I couldn't possibly burn those!  I could make something out of it one day....
Looking forward to a toasty winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment